In 2013, NASPA held an election to replace two members of its Advisory Board (AB).
The composition of the AB over the years under NASPA is available at this website.
Congratulations to Judy Cole and Chris Lipe, who won the recently concluded election to the NASPA Advisory Board. And thank you to Art, Jan, Siri and Gary for their willingness to serve and participate in the democratic process.
Following are the results of the election:
- 27.9% Cole, Judy
- 26.3% Lipe, Chris
- 20.1% Moore, Arthur
- 14.0% Cardia, Jan
- 7.3% Tillekeratne, Siri
- 4.5% Moss, Gary
This year’s election will elect two members at large.
For the purposes of this election, a NASPA member is considered to be in good standing if
An electoral candidate must meet all of the following criteria:
- They must be a NASPA member in good standing.
- They must be nominated by a NASPA member in good standing other than themselves, during the nomination period of June 14–28.
- They must accept the nomination during the nomination period.
- They must be at least 21 years of age.
- They must be prepared to comply with the obligations of NASPA committee members.
- They must submit a brief statement describing their qualifications, background, platform,
and any other information that might be of use to voters, for posting to this webpage.
They do not need to be a certified director, have a high tournament rating
or serve on another committee, but neither do these qualifications exclude them.
Incumbent members may stand for reelection.
To submit or accept a nomination, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The nomination will take effect when the nominee’s
name is added to the list of nominees on this page.
- Arthur Moore
- Arthur is a lifelong SCRABBLE fan and a tournament player since 2007. He became a director in 2008 to bring tournament SCRABBLE back to the Central Florida area. He has used Facebook to enlighten and educate outsiders on elements of strategy and the tournament scene in general. In doing so he has lured others into becoming active NASPA members.
He is co-director of Club #438 in Casselberry (Orlando), FL and currently serves on the Club/Director Committee. He has competed in the National SCRABBLE Championship in 2008 and 2012 in Orlando. He will serve as a Division Leader at this year's NSC.
- Chris Lipe
- Chris has been playing competitive Scrabble since 2005 and since then has attended nearly 200 tournaments both in the US and Canada and overseas. He is also a tournament director and has been active on NASPA committees for several years. Currently Chris is on the Rules Committee, developing changes and improvements to the rule book; the International Committee, developing criteria and dealing with issues related to NASPA's participation in overseas events and liaising with other nations' national Scrabble Organizations, and the NASPA and WESPA dictionary committees, working on upcoming updates for both the TWL and the CSW word lists, and is a NASPA liaison between the committees trying to coordinate these two updates.
- Gary Moss
- Gary is a first-time nominee. He been a player since 1987 and director of Club #350 since the early '90s, first in southern Michigan and now in Orange County, California. He has directed more than 250 sanctioned tournaments and has instituted several community outreach events to create awareness to our organizations and draw new players into our ranks. At this summer's Nationals Gary will be earning donations and pledges for every point he scores and every win he achieves, to benefit Autism Speaks. Gary has used SCRABBLE events to raise funds for Jerry's Kids, Firefighters, disaster victims, Breast Cancer Research, and others. An educator by profession, Gary understands the value of the SCRABBLE game beyond the game board: as memory tool for seniors; as a game where students learn study systems; as a meeting place for people with similar interests.
- Jan Cardia
- Jan lives in Hockessin, DE, has been playing in SCRABBLE tournaments for 35 years, is a NASPA tournament director, was a member of the NSA's original Advisory Board and has been a member of the Rules Committee since it inception, and is now the chair of the Rules Committee. Jan is running for reelection.
- Judy Cole
- Judy is a first-time nominee. Judy lives in Pennsylvania and Massachusetts and plays often, if not always well, in SCRABBLE tournaments along the route. Judy is a NASPA tournament director who has directed or codirected single and multi-day tournaments (most recently, the BAT) and is codirector of Lexington (MA) Club #108. Judy has played over 2600 games of tournament SCRABBLE since 2006 – mostly TWL with a dash of Collins.
- Siri Tillekeratne
- Siri has been playing in SCRABBLE tournaments since 1988 and has in some years played more rated games than anyone else, is a director of NASPA Club #374 in Calgary, AB and its many tournaments including the Western Canadian Championship, was the 1996 NSA Person of the Year, was a member of the NSA Advisory Board and is a member of the Canadian Committee and Tournament Committee. Siri is running for reelection.
Voting will take place from June 26 – July 3 inclusive,
Eastern time. Votes will be accepted by paper or
electronically. Each voter is entitled to vote for one
Paper votes may be sent to NASPA by postal mail,
and must arrive during the voting period to be accepted.
Paper votes are not anonymous, and must identify the
voter and their vote.
Electronic votes should be made through the Member
Services link at the NASPA website. Electronic votes
will be anonymous, except inasmuch as a skilled person with
access to the NASPA server could eventually reconstruct
The winner of each election will be determined by plurality.
If an election ends in a tie, a lottery or coin toss will be used to break the tie.
Any disputes about the elections process will be decided by the AB,
excluding those members running for reelection.