Revision as of 09:56, 28 January 2019
Here is a brief introduction to the 2019 North American SCRABBLE Championship
for overseas visitors considering attending.
- What is it?
- This is the 30th North American SCRABBLE Championship (previously known as the National SCRABBLE Championship). It features about 500 players and 31 rounds of NASPA- and WESPA-rated play over five days on July 20–24, in a convention centre near a hotel in downtown Reno, Nevada.
- Where is Reno?
- Reno is situated in the northwestern part of Nevada, near Lake Tahoe. Reno is the second most populous Nevada city (counting the Las Vegas area as a single city). The city sits in a high desert at the foot of the Sierra Nevada and its downtown area (along with Sparks) occupies a valley informally known as the Truckee Meadows.
- How do I get there?
- Fly to Las Vegas (LAS) and connect to Reno (RNO). If your country does not have a direct flight to Las Vegas, you can connect through most major American cities.
- Do I need a visitor’s visa?
- It depends on where you are travelling from. We can tell you whether or not you do, but it is your responsibility to obtain the visa yourself.
- Don’t you play with the American dictionary?
- Many of us do, but we get about 60 players each year in our Collins division.
- How can I see who is registered this year?
- An entrants list will be posted, once registration opens.
- What do I need to do to register?
- If you are not already a NASPA member, you need to have an active membership to register. Then you may complete the registration form once registration opens, and remit payment either by credit card or postal money order as instructed. You may also pay John Chew in cash, in person at an international event.
- How do I become a member?
- If you live in a country with which we have a reciprocal agreement (including the UK, Australia, India, Nigeria and Malaysia) and are a member of your local official Scrabble association, just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for your complimentary membership. If not, ask us if we can negotiate an agreement with your organization. If not, first-time trial membership costs US$15 for six-months; past members may purchase a one-week membership for US$19.
- How much does the NASC itself cost?
- USD$160, plus a USD$100 commuter fee if you do not stay at the event hotel (the Silver Legacy, which charges $140/night on Fri-Sat, and $65-70/night on Sun-Thur, plus taxes and fees). Prices increase by $50 on May 31.
- What was the top prize in the Collins division in 2018?
- How can I find out more about the event?
- Visit the 2019 North American SCRABBLE Championship webpage, or email us at email@example.com